Sunday, May 27, 2018

Scientist Wanted: Shirley Ann Jackson - Weekly Blog #21

Image result for shirley ann jackson
www.bizjournals.com
Summary 

This week in science, I learned about world influencing scientist Shirley Ann Jackson. Shirley Ann Jackson is a physicist that studied subatomic particles at numerous physics labs. She was awarded the very first national medal in science, and also became the president of the Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute. The national medal of science is an honorary award that is given to those who excel in a certain field of science by the president of the United States. She is know well for and praised for being the first women of African american decent to earn a doctorate at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT). This is what I learned about this week.

S&EP - Communicating Information

This week, I was able to communicate information through the presentation of things that I learned about Shirley Ann Jackson. First, I had to gather all my information by doing research on who Shirley is. Then. I had to dig deeper and find out her family history, Where she earned her degree, and what she studied in. After all this, I was able to communicate my finding to the rest of the class via Flip-grid. With this E-tool, I was able to talk to others about who my scientist was and why they were important. I also was able to learn about other peoples scientists and reply to their videos.

XCC - Cause and Effect

When researching Shirley Ann Jackson, I discovered that she had to struggle with a lot of social problems that developed during her time and that she had to endure a lot to become an intellectual. Because of the way that people treated her, it caused her to persevere and become smarter and better than anyone of thought she could just because of the color of her skin as well as her gender. This shows a cause and effect relationship due to them being correlated in this way. Also, because she put it in the hard work into her studies she was able to be rewarded from it and helps set an example for the rest of the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment