Monday, October 19, 2015

10/19 Weekly Blog

www.mlhi.org

This week in science, I learned a lot about plate tectonics and how the earth works. I also learned about seafloor spreading, and how that affects the earth. Sea floor spreading, is basically a process that occurs at mid-ocean ridges, that forms new ocean floor by pushing the old one back into the mantle. Also new oceanic crust is formed through volcanic activity and then gradually moves away from the ridge. Plate tectonics also cause the ridges and they keep the world together. When these plates rub against each other or slide past, they make earthquakes occur. We also started our project about plate tectonics. My team and I decided to choose land form detective.The labs we did this week are snack tectonics and seafloor spreading activity. 


SP2: Developing and using models

I have made a model demonstrating how plate tectonics move and what happens when they do. I went through a series of different tests to show how the plate tectonics are essential to the earth. I understood how plate tectonics make earthquakes when I had the 2 graham crackers (plate tectonics) glued next to each other by frosting, and one being moved down and one up, to understand what happens during an earthquake. also learned how mountains are formed by mashing the soggy graham crackers together.This model was all educational, fun, and tasty.



No comments:

Post a Comment