Sunday, November 20, 2016

Project Blog - Human Body 2.0 Board Game

Picture of my board game and all of its elements
Summary

In the process of making this project, I learned several things. This doesn't apply only to science, this also applies to software I had to learn better in order to do some of the things I wanted to do. Some of these things including adding images and text into the software. I had to learn how to do this because this isn't an option that comes with the software, but there is a work around. The only reason it doesn't have these basic features is because its originally an open source painting software, called paint tool sai. So, it didint come with options such as text boxes. As far as science goes, I learned quite a bit more about the human body, as well as the organs it contains. I learned about these things because in order for my game to make any sense, I had to research (and re-research) a lot of things. This includes organs and just random facts.

Backward Looking - What process did you go through to produce this piece?


I went through quite a long process to create the board game. First things first, I needed to plan out my game. This included how my game was going to function, and create basic rules. Once the basics were done, I moved onto create my questions. I tried my best, and eventually thought of 6 questions for each body system, ranging in difficulties. This was a lot harder, and a longer process than I expected it to be, especially since I wanted to create quality questions for my game. In this process, I used my drawing software to create question templates that looked like this.

After I was done with making my questions, I copied the text onto the template using google draw. Once all of this was complete, I moved onto making my actual board game and box. This didn't take very long, since I already had all of my stuff planned out. I drew out my game board, box, and of course, added the rules to the back of the box. A that, pretty much summarizes the whole process of making my board game. 




Inward Looking - What was especially satisfying to you about either the process or the finished product?

What was probably the most satisfying in the end was how the fun factor of the game rolled out, and my questions. By the time mostly everyone has tried out my game, the majority said that it was overall a really fun game. All that was important to me is if they had fun and they learned something, and they did! That's probably what was especially satisfying for me. If I were to go and select something else, it would probably be the questions. I feel as if I categorized the questions well, and made them not to hard, but not too easy either. People also said that my cards were sturdy, thanks to the 2 layers of cardstock, and felt like actually cards you would find in a legitimate board game. These are probably the things in my board game that I was especially satisfied with their end product with.

Outward Looking - What do your classmates particularly notice about your piece when they look at it?

One thing that I faintly noticed, but my classmates especially noticed was how the overall board in my game was designed. They noticed that the board game, looked somewhat cramped. They noted that the spaces were a bit too close together for its own good, and things got a bit complicated. That was pretty much all they had to comment on, how I should probably have a bigger game board if im going to have that much material on it. 

Forward Looking  - What would you change if you had a chance to do this piece over again?

I would probably change the overall physique of my board game. Especially my board and box. I feel as if I could have drawn characters, and all sort of other stuff, and have been able to print the out and put them on the box and the board itself. I overall think that I could've made it look alot cleaner, appealing, and less cramped. This is definitely what I would redo if I had a chance to redo the project. 

No comments:

Post a Comment